Thai Coconut Soup
Tom Kha Gai soup
- ½ tablespoon coconut oil
- ⅛ teaspoonThai dried chiles, finely ground*
- ½ cup chicken stock
- 2 cans full fatcoconut milk
- 2 inch piece of Galangal, skin on and thinly sliced (fresh Ginger will work too)*
- 1 stalk lemon grass, sliced diagonally into 3-4 pieces and slightly bruised/flattened with a mallet or butt of a knife*
- 8kaffir lime leaves*
- 4 tablespoonsfish sauce
- 2 cups chicken breast, very thinly sliced
- 1 cup white button mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- ½ tablespooncoconut sugar (honey will work too, but coconut sugar will taste the most authentic)
- 8 cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- fresh cilantro and scallions for serving
- *All of the starred items can be purchased dried in a jar by the brand Thai Kitchen
- Melt the coconut oil in a soup or stock pot, then add the ground chiles and stir for 1-2 minutes until fragrant.
- Pour in the coconut milk and bring to boil. Add the chicken stock, galangal, lemon grass, kaffir leaves, fish sauce, and chicken and simmer for 10 minutes until the chicken is cooked through.
- Add the mushrooms, lime juice, coconut sugar, tom atoes and simmer for another 5 minutes until the vegetables are tender but not mushy.
- Serve with fresh cilantro and scallions.