Thanksgiving Side Dish: Bacon and Chive Sweet Potato Biscuits
I’m loving this site right now! – Paleo OMG
She’s funny and has great recipes. Thanks Jess for recommending her!
I just made these for the family. Maya loved them, Calvin loved them and I adored them!
I made 2 changes: added shredded sharp cheddar about 1 cup and chipotle pepper flakes about 1 tsp.
Prep time: 30 mins
Cook time: 30 mins
Total time: 1 hour
- 1 large sweet potato or yam (equivalent to 2 cups mashed)
- 3 tablespoons Coconut Flour
- 3 eggs, whisked
- 6-8 strips of bacon, diced
- leftover rendered fat from bacon
- 3-4 tablespoons chives, thinly diced
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 415 degrees.
- Pork holes in your sweet potato with a fork.
- Place in oven and bake for 30-40 or until soft.
- Once the sweet potato is done baking, turn oven down to 375 degrees. When
you sweet potato is almost done cooking, place your diced bacon into a
skillet and brown until crispy. Then place your cooked, crispy bacon on a
plate covered with a paper towel to soak up the excess fat. The fat
that is left behind in the pan, you will use in your biscuits.
- When your sweet potato is done, peel and place in a bowl and mash with a fork. Then add in your eggs and mix well with your sweet potato. Then add your in your bacon fat and mix well. Then your dry ingredients: coconut flour, baking powder, garlic powder, and salt and pepper. Finally add your diced cooked bacon and chives. Mix thoroughly.
line a baking sheet with parchment paper and use a large spoon to drop
your biscuits on the sheet, shaping them as needed. Try to make them all
equal in size so they cook the same.
- Place in oven and bake for 22-27 minutes.
- Let rest.
- Top with some melted grass fed butter. You don’t have to, since it’s not paleo, but I did it, and it was delicious. Trust me.